The side-by-side concert is an excellent opportunity for young instrumentalists grades 9 – 12 to perform alongside professional musicians for the Midland Symphony Orchestra concert “Reflections on the Mississippi” on Saturday, November 3, 2018 at Midland Center for the Arts.
Students will join the orchestra on stage for the first piece, Brahms’ Tragic Overture. Auditions are open to instrumental students grades 9 – 12 who would like to participate. The audition process will help determine what instruments and how many students will be accepted. Most string and wind parts can be doubled. The sheet music on the website indicates which instruments are needed for the piece and can be found here. Violins, please be prepared for the second violin part.
The Audition Process:
– Students need to upload a video audition of themselves performing the overture on YouTube and submit the link by Friday, October 12.
– Students should perform Brahms’ Tragic Overture for the audition. Sheet music can be downloaded from dropbox here.
– Music Director Bohuslav Rattay will review the videos and select musicians to join the orchestra. Students will be notified of the audition results by Monday, October 22.
Students would join orchestra rehearsal when the piece is rehearsed on the following nights, and note they do not need to stay for the entire rehearsal:
- Wednesday, October 31, 7:30 pm – Full orchestra rehearsal
- Thursday, November 1, 7:30 pm – String rehearsal only
- Friday, November 2, 7:30 pm – Full orchestra rehearsal
- Saturday, November 3, 2:00 pm – Dress rehearsal, Overture is first
- Saturday, November 3, 7:30 pm – Performance, Overture is first on the program
Questions? Contact Robin Von Wald, MSO Personnel Manager, at [email protected].