The side-by-side concert is an excellent opportunity for young instrumentalists grades 9 – 12 to perform alongside professional musicians for the Midland Symphony Orchestra concert “Tales of Hemingway” on Saturday, February 3, 2018 at Midland Center for the Arts.
Students will join the orchestra on stage for the first piece, Bernstein’s Prometheus Overture. Auditions are open to instrumental students grades 9-12 who would like to participate. The audition process will help determine what instruments and how many students will be accepted. Most string and wind parts can be doubled. The sheet music on the website indicates which instruments are needed for the piece. The overture does not require piccolo, trombones, tuba or percussion.
The Audition Process:
– Students need to upload a video audition of themselves performing the overture on YouTube and submit the link by Friday, January 5.
– Students should perform Beethoven’s Prometheus Overture for the audition. Sheet music can be downloaded from dropbox here.
– Music Director Bohuslav Rattay will review the videos and select musicians to join the orchestra. Students will be notified of the audition results by Monday, January 15.
Students would join orchestra rehearsal when the piece is rehearsed on the following nights, and note they do not need to stay for the entire rehearsal:
- Wednesday, January 31, 7:30 pm – Full orchestra rehearsal
- Thursday, February 1, 7:30 pm – String rehearsal only
- Friday, February 2, 7:30 pm – Full orchestra rehearsal
- Saturday, February 3, 2:00 pm – Dress rehearsal, Overture is first
- Saturday, February 3, 7:30 pm – Performance, Overture is first on the program
Questions? Contact Robin Von Wald, MSO Personnel Manager, at [email protected].